The Working Together Strategy is a big plan for the North East and North Cumbria.
It says that children, young people and adults with a learning disability, autistic children, young people and adults and their families should be able to be involved in planning the support and services that are needed to live a good life.
The Citizenship Team are
Nargis and Terry – Family Carers
Frank and Shaun – Self Advocates
Michelle – Project Support Coordinator
The Citizenship Team will make it easier for people with a learning disability, autistic people and their families to have their voices heard about what support and services are needed.
To do this they will
• Find out what is already happening in the North East and North Cumbria to involve people and families in decision making
• Understand the meetings where decisions are made and make sure people and families are involved
• Get to know people in different jobs and build good working relationships with them
• Speak up if people and families are not being included and not being listened to
• Support children and young people who are autistic or have a learning disability to learn the skills of speaking up and being involved in decisions
• Listen to people and families from all over the North East and North Cumbria and bring their views together so they make a bigger difference
• Create accessible information so that people and families understand how decisions are made and how to get involved
• Help areas that are not doing as well to involve people and families more
• Help people to understand what citizenship means and to understand their rights
• Look at where people and families need to be more involved in decision making and help make this happen
A Citizenship Steering Group will help them to plan all this work. This group is made up of people with a learning disability, autistic people and family carers who volunteer to meet the team once a month to talk about the work.
You can find out more about the team here