The Working Together Strategy is a big plan for the North East and North Cumbria.
It says that children, young people and adults with a learning disability, autistic children, young people and adults and their families should be able to be involved in planning the support and services that are needed to live a good life.
The Citizenship Team are
Nargis and Terry – Family Carers
Frank and Shaun – Self Advocates
Michelle – Project Support Coordinator
The Citizenship Team will make it easier for people with a learning disability, autistic people and their families to have their voices heard about what support and services are needed.
To do this they will
• Find out what is already happening in the North East and North Cumbria to involve people and families in decision making
• Understand the meetings where decisions are made and make sure people and families are involved
• Get to know people in different jobs and build good working relationships with them
• Speak up if people and families are not being included and not being listened to
• Support children and young people who are autistic or have a learning disability to learn the skills of speaking up and being involved in decisions
• Listen to people and families from all over the North East and North Cumbria and bring their views together so they make a bigger difference
• Create accessible information so that people and families understand how decisions are made and how to get involved
• Help areas that are not doing as well to involve people and families more
• Help people to understand what citizenship means and to understand their rights
• Look at where people and families need to be more involved in decision making and help make this happen
A Citizenship Steering Group will help them to plan all this work. This group is made up of people with a learning disability, autistic people and family carers who volunteer to meet the team once a month to talk about the work.
You can find out more about the team here
We Need Your Help!
Share your thoughts with us
The Citizenship team has been asked by the Integrated Care System (ICS) to find out what people think about their quality of life and support.
The Integrated care system will plan health and care services based on what people need where they live, which is why it is so important that you tell the Integrated care system what your needs are.
We have created an easy read Questionnaire for you to fill in –bit.ly/INShapeServices
Help us to guide our project
Are you interested in people with a learning disability, autistic people and their families having full, happy and healthy lives?
We welcome people who are passionate about making this a reality to get in touch to join our steering group.
We need people with a learning disability, autistic people, families, and professionals to join us to share your experiences to help shape our work and bring brilliant ideas.
If you would like to join the Steering Group please complete a Note of Interest Form.
You can do this Online by clicking on this link bit.ly/CitizenshipNoteOfInterest
Or you fill out the Note of Interest document on the right hand side of this page and email it to Michelle Cadby email@example.com by Monday 4th July 2022.